St Mary MacKillop College runs a comprehensive careers program to assist students with their career pathways. The Careers Office is always open, and students are welcome to come and speak with us whether they are job seeking or unsure of their career pathway options.
We see our key role as advisors, and cover a variety of areas.
For instance we:
- Provide students with as much information as possible and support them in making decisions for the future which best suit their individual needs
- Co-ordinate the Year 10 Work Experience program
- Assist students prepare a Resume, Job Application and Inteview Techniques
- Encourage and support students employed or seeking School Based Apprenticeships or Traineeships
- Have a variety of reading material available that may assist students with career options
- Meet with and support all VCE students with their future aspirations and discuss their pathway plan to either further education or employment
- Provide scholarship information and help with VTAC and SEAS applications
- Arrange relevant Guest Speakers to address student groups.
In Years 9 and 10 students have class time dedicated to Pathways each fortnight, and Senior students attend Pathways sessions twice per term. These years are crucial for young people to achieve their potential through education, as research indicates that for young people to be deeply engaged in their learning, they need to see relevance and purpose in their education.
An important feature of the Pathways program is the involvement of students in work experience. This is primarily held in Year 10, with each Year 10 student supported to attend a week long work experience session
Pathways education provides young people with the tools they need to make informed career decisions and transitions from secondary school and throughout their lives. Students are prepared for a variety of pathways, including further training through tertiary education, employment, apprenticeships and traineeships.