Solomon House is named after Emanuel Solomon. He was born in London and was convicted of larceny and sentenced to seven years transportation. He arrived in Sydney in 1818 and after emancipation he went into business in George Street as a general merchant and auctioneer and they accumulated property and land in Sydney and Bathurst. he was an Adelaide business man and a member of Parliament who showed practical sympathy for the Sisters. When St Mary gave up her Convent for the newly arrived Dominican Nuns from Ireland, Emanuel gave her a row of houses for the 19 country sisters coming to Adelaide for their Annual Retreat.